Our Mission: “Reconciling the World with God” 2 Corinthians 5:20
The International Church of the Nazarene was created from a merger of seven holiness denominations in 1908. Our local church traces it’s birth to a revival meeting in the Summer of 1928.
Under the supervision of Dr. L.T. Wells, Superintendent of the Kentucky District, the church was organized with approximately 20 members. Rev. Earl G. Hissom, Sr., was called as pastor.
The first permanent sanctuary was a rented building near the tent where the church originated. This building was later known as the “cracker box.”
Lots were purchased near the corner of Florida Street and Central Avenue to build a larger home for the growing church.
In May of 1953, our present day sanctuary was dedicated on the corner of Park Avenue & Grant Street. Some time later, the church annex building was constructed. This would later become home to the Tiny Tyke Prep Center from 1972 until closing in December of 2010.
Over the last 90 years, our church has ministered to families all across the Kanawha Valley, leading to the eventual creation of 29 other churches.
Under the leadership of Pastor Randy Lanham, we undertook bold steps to reach more families through the additional ministries with the construction of our Family Life Center in 2008.
In 2017, Pastor Thomas Bolinger was called to serve as pastor and we await what God has in store for our church to accomplish our mission of reconciling the world with Him.
- History of the International Church of the Nazarene
- Mission of the Church
- Beliefs of the Church of The Nazarene
- Articles of Faith | Sermon Series by Pastor about the Articles of Faith
- Our Core Values
- How to Know Jesus
Statements from The Board of General Superintendents on Current News
“We further call our people to a generosity and graciousness of spirit that extends kindness to those who do not share our belief. We pray that God will help us be examples of His truth in a world that needs to see God’s love demonstrated in word and deed more than ever.¹”